Skip to content

Providing families and individuals with severe or chronic disabilities with Special Needs Planning using Supplemental Needs Trusts in Elmira and throughout Chemung County, Steuben County and Schuyler County, NY.

How to Protect a Loved One with Special Needs

Do you have a plan in place for the future care of a family member with special needs? Planning for a family member (whether a spouse, minor or adult child, or a parent) with a disability holds a very special place in planning.  Not only must your plan address the transfer of your assets to your disabled family member upon your death, but your plan must also provide for their care and support during your lifetime.

Public monetary benefits are available for those with special needs, but these only provide for the bare necessities such as food, housing and clothing.  These limited benefits will not provide your special needs loved one with the resources needed to enjoy a richer quality of life.

Fortunately, the government has established rules allowing assets to be held in trust, called a Special Needs or Supplemental Needs Trust for the benefit of a recipient of SSI and Medicaid, as long as certain requirements are met.

If you have a loved one with special needs, you need to set up the correct legal documents to get their affairs in order. This may include powers of attorney, supplemental needs trusts, as well as a will and other supporting documents. If certain documents cannot be signed, we can help set up a guardianship which will allow a trusted person to make important decisions for your loved one.

Your Special Needs Attorney in Elmira and throughout Chemung County, Steuben County and Schuyler County, NY.

Donald W Mustico, Attorney at Law works as an advocate for your loved one during their life, establishing guardianships, applying for Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income, setting up trusts, and making sure your loved one with special needs is provided for properly in your overall estate plan.

Back To Top